There are many ways to control the temperature of your home. Central air conditioners and gas furnaces are traditional, and still pretty common. And they work! But are they really the best choice? Is there a better way to keep your home at the perfect temperature? Let us introduce you to the mini split, an all-in-one HVAC system.
What Is a Mini Split?
These amazing systems are comprised of an outdoor compressor, much like a traditional AC unit uses to pressurize refrigerant and disperse the heat from the refrigerant coils. But indoors, instead of all the refrigerant flowing to a single indoor unit, a mini split has multiple air handlers in various parts of the home.
These air handlers do not require ductwork but are instead mounted on the walls independently, and each one has its own thermostat. And there’s one more thing that sets this system apart: the flow of refrigerant can be reversed.
In the summer, heat is absorbed from the home and released outdoors. But in the winter, the opposite can be achieved: heat can be soaked up from the outdoor air, even in quite chilly temperatures, and brought into the home. This makes Mitsubishi mini splits in Santa Fe, NM a fantastic home climate control option.
It’s Made by Mitsubishi?
While many people think of Mitsubishi as a car manufacturer, it is much more than that. It was founded in 1870 as a shipping company and has since become a leader in many areas of engineering including agricultural equipment, aircraft, and, yes, HVAC systems. Mitsubishi is a highly regarded company with an excellent reputation for manufacturing cutting-edge products.
What Are the Benefits of a Mini Split?
- Efficiency: Because of the potential for zone control—setting the individual thermostats to different temperatures in various parts of your home—you won’t need to expend a ton of energy keeping the whole house at your ideal temperature when you only really need that in a specific room. And even if a mini split was being run just as much as a traditional air conditioner, the small and efficient fan motors would keep energy use lower anyway.
- Comfort: When different family members have different ideal temperatures, or when tropical plants, sensitive pets, or new babies have different needs from the rest of the family, zone control allows everyone to be perfectly comfortable.
- Year-Round Use: With a Mitsubishi mini split, you won’t just have extremely efficient cooling all summer. You’ll also be able to keep your home cozy when it’s chilly out.
- Versatility: Since a mini split doesn’t require ductwork, it’s a fantastic choice for older homes that were originally built without ducts, when you might have thought you were stuck with using window AC units. It can also eliminate the need to replace ductwork in homes with old, damaged, or deteriorating ducts.
- Convenience: If you’re building an addition to your home, or enclosing a previously unoccupied area such as a garage or attic to use as living space, a mini split can be added so no ductwork is required, and that area can be just as comfortable as the rest of your home.
If you’d like to know more about the mini split HVAC system options for your home, we’d love to hear from you.
Contact Roadrunner Air Conditioning, Heating, & Plumbing today to speak with a member of our team.